By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/10/10
The girls’ scene turned upside down Thursday when Strath Haven defeated Radnor, 9-8, in overtime to snap the Red Raiders’ 31-game Central League win streak.
The Panthers’ stunning victory helped Springfield-Delco move into first place in the Central league and take over the top spot in the Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Rankings, one spot ahead of Strath Haven and two ahead of Radnor.
What’s more, Radnor hosts Springfield-Delco Tuesday afternoon in hopes of forcing what could be a three-way tie for the crown with a victory. If the Cougars win, they take the crown outright.
1. Springfield-Delco (15-0) – The Cougars have clinched at least a tie for the Central League crown, but they obviously want more and will have to beat Radnor Tuesday on the road to get it outright. They also play at No. 6 Archbishop Carroll in their regular-season finale Thursday. (Prev: 2)
2. Strath Haven (13-1) – The Panthers had not beaten Radnor in nearly 10 years until Thursday. They travel to Penncrest Tuesday and can earn a tie for the crown if Springfeld-Delco falls to Radnor. They close their regular-season at No. 9 Archbishop Wood Friday. (Prev: 3)
3. Radnor (16-1) – Expect the Red Raiders to come back strong from Thursday’s loss when they host Springfield-Delco Tuesday in the year’s biggest game. They still have revenge on their minds from last year’s District 1 finals loss to the Cougars. (Prev: 1)
4. Great Valley (16-0) – The Patriots can clinch the Ches-Mont League title with wins over Avon Grove (Tuesday) and Sun Valley (Thursday). (Prev: 4)
5. Unionville (14-2) – The Indians need Great Valley to get upset for a chance at a tie for the Ches-Mont title. They close with Bayard Rustin Tuesday and West Chester East Thursday. (Prev: 5)
6. Archbishop Carroll (11-4) – The Patrots can finish as the top seed in the Catholic League with a win at Lansdale Catholic Wednesday before hosting No. 1 Springfield-Delco Thursday in their regular-season final. (Prev: 7)
7. Upper Dublin (14-0) – The Cardinals can clinch the Suburban One American Conference crown if they beat Plymouth Whitemarsh today and Norristown on Tuesday. They also play at Upper Merion Thursday and Ridley on Friday. (Prev: 8)
8. Episcopal Academy (11-5) – EA has been on a roll since a mid-season slump, and can win the Inter-Ac League crown with a win at Notre Dame on Friday. (Prev: 9)
9. Archbishop Wood (13-3) – The Vikings appear to be the easy No. 2 seed in the Caholic League and then face two nice tests against Central League teams when they meet Harriton Thursday and No. 2 Strath Haven on Friday. (Prev: NR)
10. North Penn (13-1) – The Maidens can clinch the Suburban One Continental Conference crown with a win over Souderton today and at Central Bucks West Tuesday. (Prev: 5)
Under Consideration (alphabetic order): Abington (10-4), Boyertown (13-4), Conestoga (10-7), Council Rock North (12-1), Downingtown East (11-4). Downingtown West (11-5), Merion Mercy (11-4), Notre Dame (10-4), Ridley (10-5), Wissahickon (14-2).