By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/12/10
Radnor, Unionville and Springfield-Delco continued to breeze through the early-season schedules as the top three rated teams in the are.
This week the league seasons and non-league slates heat up as all three teams face major challenges. Here is this week’s Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Rankings:
1. Radnor (4-0) – The Red Raiders have been positively dominant this year. They have a busy week with four games – two in the Central League (Tuesday vs. Lower Merin and Thursday night at Garnet Valley) and two against strong non-league foes (Wednesday at Episcopal Academy and vs. Downingtown West Friday). (Prev: 1).
2. Unionville (5-0) – The Indians also have looked very potent and are gearing for a big week. They face two strong Ches-Mont League foes, Downingtown West (home) on Tuesday and Downingtown East (away) Thursday, and the host No. 5 Strath Haven Saturday. (Prev: 2).
3. Springfield-Delco (6-0) – The Cougars – who have rolled through their games – have a big week as they host dangerous Harriton Tuesday and play at No. 5 Strath Haven Thursday in key Central League contests. (Prev: 3).
4. North Penn (4-0) – The Maidens earned their second one-goal win of the year Friday with a 9-8 decision over Conestoga. They host Pennsbury Thursday and Pennridge Friday in a Suburban One Continental contest. (Prev: 5).
5. Strath Haven (4-0) – The Panthers survived their first test Thursday with an 11-9 Central League triumph over Harriton. They play at Garnet Valley Tuesday and then gear for a showdown Thursday against Springfield-Delco. (Prev: 8).
6. Notre Dame Academy (3-0) – The Fighting Irish toppled Merion Mercy, 15-10, and face a non-league game Tuesday against undefeated Germantown Friends before hosting Baldwin School (Wednesday) and playing at Springside School 9Friday) in Inter-Ac League games. (Prev: 10).
7. Great Valley (4-0) – The Pats have yet to be tested, but face two challenges this week in the Ches-Mont League, playing at Bayard Rustin Tuesday while hosting West Chester East Thursday.
8. Archbishop Carroll (1-3) – The Patriots have played a murderous pre-season schedule by squaring off with Florida’s Vero Beach (Fla.), Illinois’ Loyola Academy (Il) and Maryland’s Notre Dame Prep. They return to the homefront this week by hosting Catholic League challenger Archbishop Wood Tuesday and playing at Bishop McDevitt Thursday. (Prev: 4).
9. Episcopal Academy (3-2) – EA also lost to Loyola and Notre Dame Prep in a major invitational last week in Virginia, but held its own. They play at Penn Charter Tuesday in the Inter-Ac League and host No. 1 Radnor Wednesday. (Prev: 6).
10. Upper Dublin (4-0) – The Cardinals held on to defeat Wissahickon, 12-10, Friday in a Suburban One American showdown Friday before toppling Boyertown, 11-8, on Saturday. They have Suburban One games against Upper Moreland Thursday and Norristown Friday. (Prev: NR).
Teams to Watch (alphabetical order): Boyertown (1) 3-3; Conestoga (1) 3-2, Council Rock North (1) 3-0, Downingtown East (4-1), Downingtown West (1) 4-1, Harriton (1) 4-1, Merion Mercy (3-1), Wissahickon (1) 3-1.