By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/10/10
Malvern Prep threw a net around the Inter-Ac League race Friday by defeating Haverford School, 7-6, to complete a most impressive season sweep of the Fords. The win moved the Friars back into the Phillylacrosse.com Rankings and created a three-team logjam atop the Inter-Ac.
This week’s rankings:
1. Springfield-Delco (15-1) – The Cougars have clinched at least a tie for the Central League title and can finish the job Tuesday by defeating Radnor at home. (Prev: 1)
2. Conestoga (15-2) – The Pioneers close their regular season Tuesday at home against Ridley and will root for Radnor to defeat Springfield-Delco to give them a shot at a tie for the Central League crown. (Prev: 3)
3. Haverford School (16-4) – The Fords must recover quickly from the second loss to Malvern Prep. They need to beat Episcopal Academy Tuesday (home) and Penn Charter Thursday (away) to win at least a share of the Inter-Ac crown. (Prev: 2)
4. La Salle (12-2) – The Explorers face an interesting test Tuesday when they host South Jersey power Moorestown at home. They finish their Catholic League slate Wednesday at Lansdale Catholic. (Prev: 4)
5. Abington (16-1) – The Ghosts, coming off an impressive 17-10 victory over Garnet Valley on Saturday, can claim the Suburban One National Conference title by defeating Pennsbury Tuesday at home. (Prev: 6)
6. Episcopal Academy (13-4) – The Churchmen – who rallied nicely to top Penn Charter, 11-10, on Saturday – have their shot now to win a share of the Inter-Ac title. They have to beat Haverford School on Tuesday and Germantown Academy on Saturday to do it. (Prev: 5)
7. Malvern Prep (10-6) – Beating Haverford School twice in a row is a major accomplishment. The Friars can wrap up at least a share of the Inter-Ac League crown by beating Germantown Academy on Tuesday. (Prev: NR)
8. Garnet Valley (11-4) – The Jaguars finish their Central League slate Tuesday against Lower Merion and close the regular season against Unionville Saturday. (Prev: 7)
9. St. Joseph’s Prep (7-7) – Why is a 7-7 team still in the Top 10? How about wins over Episcopal Academy, Malvern Prep, Emmaus and Downingtown East with all its losses to the top four ranked teams, and tight losses to New Jersey powers (Summit and St. Augustine) and Virginia power St. Anne’s Belfield. So, today the Hawks gtravel to Long Island powerhouse St. Anthony’s. (Prev: NR)
10. Germantown Academy (9-5) – The Patriots are out of the Inter-Ac title chase, but can play spoiler this week when they play Malvern Prep Tuesday (home) and Episcopal Academy Saturday (away). (Prev: 8)
Under Consideration (alphabetic order): Avon Grove (11-3), Central Bucks East (11-2), Downingtown West (14-2), Emmaus (10-7), Hatboro-Horsham (12-3), Lower Merion (9-7), Penncrest (10-6), Pennsbury (15-1), Radnor (11-5), Ridley (11-5), Salesianum School (11-1), Spring-Ford (17-1).