By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 3/28/10
The boys’ scholastic kicked off in earnest Friday with the start of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association. Also, three teams in the Top 10, Conestoga, Malvern Prep and Episcopal Academy earned key wins over out-of-state powers.
Here are the Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings:
1. Conestoga (1-0) – The Pioneers flashed a suffocating pressure defense in their 6-2 win over Landon School (MD) in their opener. They play at Downingtown East Thursday and then play at No. 2 Haverford Saturday (11 a.m.) in a much-anticipated battle of the top two teams. Preseason: No. 1
2. Haverford School (3-2) – After tough loss to MIAA powers Loyola-Blakefield (8-6) and McDonogh (7-6), the Fords bounced back last week with big wins over Gilman School (15-8) and No. 6 La Salle (9-6). They are off until the Conestoga showdown. Preseason: No. 2.
3. Springfield-Delco (1-0) – The Cougars started with an easy win over Cardinal O’Hara and face their first test Thursday when they host No. 4 Emmaus. Preseason: No. 3.
4. Emmaus (1-1) – The Green Hornets held their own at Long Island power Ward Melville on Saturday, keeping it close until bowing, 10-5. They play at No. 3 Springfield-Delco Thursday and open their Lehigh Valley Conference season Saturday vs. Easton in the inaugural HEADstrong Rivalry Games at Widener. Preseason: No. 4
5. Malvern Prep (2-1) – The Friars earned a tough 7-6 triumph over defending Delaware state champion Salesianum and face another stern test Tuesday at Garnet Valley. Preseason: No. 5
6. Episcopal Academy (4-0) – The Churchmen may be the area’s best-kept secret. They won some stripes for Philly lacrosse by beating Maryland IAC power Bullis School, 9-7, on Sunday and face several key challenges this week: Tuesday at Downingtown East and Thursday at home against Lower Merion. Preseason: No. 7.
7. La Salle (0-1) – The Explorers fared well against Haverford School in their 9-6 loss Friday, especially considering it was their first game and Haverford’s fifth. They host a strong Holy Ghost Prep squad tomorrow and play Catholic League rival St. Joseph’s Prep Saturday in the HEADstrong Rivalry Games at Widener. Preseason: No. 6.
8. St. Joseph’s Prep (2-0) – The Hawks started strong with a 10-4 triumph over Downingtown East and 12-1 win over Archbishop Carroll in their Catholic League opener. They travel to Virginia this week to meet Albemarle (3-0) today and St. Anne’s- Belfield (Wednesday) before taking on La Salle Saturday in a game that perennially pits the top two Catholic League teams. Preseason: NR.
9. Abington (0-0) – The Ghosts open Tuesday at Henderson and host Golden (CO) on Thursday. Preseason: No. 8. Preseason: No. 8
10. Central Bucks East (0-0) – The Patriots open Tuesday by hosting North Penn and play at Souderton Thursday in Suburban One Continental games. Preseason: No. 9
Teams to Watch (in alphabetical order): Avon Grove (0-0), Downingtown East (0-1), Downingtown West (2-0), Garnet Valley (1-0), Hatboro-Horsham (0-1), Holy Ghost Prep (1-0), Lower Merion (0-1), Owen J. Roberts (0-1), Pennsbury (1-0), Salesianum School (0-1), Spring-Ford (1-0), Sun Valley (1-0), West Chester East (1-0).