By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/26/10
After a week when Malvern Prep beat former No. 1 Haverford School and Springfield-Delco defeated former No. 2 Conestoga, La Salle has moved into the No. 1 spot in the Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings.
1. La Salle (9-1) – The Explorers have clearly earned this top spot. Since their opening-day 9-6 loss to Haverford School, they have won nine straight, including one over national power Georgetown Prep and quality wins over St. Joseph’s Prep and Episcopal Academy, as well as Saturday’s 12-4 triumph over Lower Merion at the Katie Samson Festival. They get two more major tests this week as they play at Malvern Prep Tuesday and No. 2 Springfield-Delco on Saturday. (Prev: 3)
2. Springfield-Delco (10-1) – The Cougars had a perfect week, earning an overtime win over Conestoga to take the lead in the Central League and then following it up with a win over a dangerous Penncrest club Thursday and another overtime win over St. Joseph’s Prep Saturday at Katie Samson. They host Marple Newtown Tuesday and Garnet Valley Thursday before the home showdown Saturday with No. 1 La Salle. (Prev: 4)
3. Haverford School (12-3) – The Fords bounced back from their Inter-Ac loss to Malvern Prep Tuesday with key wins over Episcopal Academy (12-6) and Emmaus (10-8) at Katie Samson. They host Penn Charter Tuesday and play at Germantown Academy Friday in Inter-Ac games before hosting Radnor Saturday. (Prev: 1)
4. Conestoga (10-2) – The Pioneers bounced back from their loss to Springfield-Delco Tuesday by blanking Harriton on Thursday and then handling Malvern Prep, 8-1, at Katie Samson. They host Radnor Tuesday and play at Marple Newtown Thursday and St. Joseph’s Prep Friday (Prev: 2)
5. Garnet Valley (8-2) – The Jaguars claimed wins over Penncrest and Haverford High. They host Harriton Monday and play at Springfield-Delco Thursday. (Prev: 7)
6. Episcopal Academy (10-3) – The Churchmen rebounded from a 12-6 loss to Haverford School by toppling Lawrenceville School (N.J.), 8-4, at Katie Samson. They play at Germantown Academy Tuesday and Chestnut Hill Academy Friday. (Prev: 6)
7. Abington (8-1) – The Ghosts made their statement Friday by routing Pennsbury, 16-4, in a showdown of Suburban One National powers. They play four games this week and their biggest tests will be at Holy Ghost Prep Wednesday and at Ridley Saturday. (Prev: NR)
8. Germantown Academy (7-2) – The Patriots rebounded from a loss Thursday to Malvern Prep by downing host Radnor, 7-5, at Katie Samson. The face a tough week with home games Tuesday against Episcopal Academy and Friday against Haverford School. (Prev: 10)
9. St. Joseph’s Prep (5-5) – The Hawks suffered a heartbreaking overtime loss to Springfield-Delco at Katie Samson and have lost three games by one goal. They play Tuesday at Monsignor Bonner and host No. 4 Conestoga Thursday. (Prev: 5)
10. Emmaus (6-5) – The Green Hornets gave Haverford School a challenge Saturday before falling, 10-8, at Katie Samson. They are at Easton Tuesday and Allentown Central Catholic Friday in Lehigh Valley League games. (Prev: 9).
Under Consideration (alphabetic order): Central Bucks East (8-1) Downingtown West (11-1), Holy Ghost Prep (8-1), Malvern Prep (7-5), Pennsbury (10-1), Penncrest (7-4), Radnor (8-3), Ridley (9-2).