Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 7/17/10
Nearly 200 of the nation’s top boys’ and girls’ scholastic senior lacrosse players – including nine Philly girls and two Philly boys – begin in the US Lacrosse 2010 Champion® High School Showcase in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
The showcase events will be held as part of the ESPN RISE Games Presented by Target at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
The Philly girls’ players selected include: Radnor’s Courtney Campbell, Kelyn Freedman and Allie Martin, Unionville’s Melissa Lloyd, Upper Dublin’s Amy Cross, Merion Mercy’s Margaret Corzel, Hatboro-Horsham’s Lauren Purvis, Springfield-Delco’s Shannon Burns and Lawrenceville School’s Camille Richardson (of Berwyn).
Campbell (attack) and Martin (midfield) are on Team Freedom; Lloyd (goalie), Corzel (midfield) and Richardson (midfield) are on Tam Spirit; Freedman (defender) and Cross (midfield) are on Team Liberty; while Burns (midfield) and Purvis (midfield) are on Team Pride.
All players selected had to be US Lacrosse All-Americans as juniors.
The Philly boys’ players include Tatnall (DE) School midfielder Jackson Keeler (Landenberg, PA/signed with Delaware) and Salesianum (DE) School defenseman Mark Cyron (Lincoln University/Merrimack). Keeler is on Team Pride and Cyron is on Team Liberty.
The girls’ opening ceremony will be held today with the competition beginning Sunday. Eighty players from 19 states have been selected to four teams that will compete in three pool play games before a championship game on Monday. The girls’ consolation games and championship game will be available on the web at www.espn3.com.
The girls’ coaches include Philly’s Dee Cross (Upper Dublin) and Wendy Landry (Unionville). Others are Bruce Barker (Regis Jesuit, Colo.), Erin Carroll (Thayer Academy, Mass.), Pete Collins (New Trier High School, Ill.), Kathryn Davis (John Carroll, Ala.), Mary Hopkins (West Orange High School, Fla.) and Jenifer Kish (Emma Willard School, N.Y.).
The boys’ event also features a four-team round robin pool (beginning Tuesday) to be followed by championship play on Thursday. The boys’ championship game is slated to appear on ESPNU. Ninety-six players representing 29 states have been selected for the showcase.
Sunday girls’ schedule
• 10:00 am – GAME 1
???- Red vs. Navy
?? – Green vs. Royal
• 12:00 pm – Lunch for all players and coaches under pavilion tent
• 2:00 pm – GAME 2
??? – Green vs. Red
??? – Navy vs. Royal
• 4:00 pm – Games are finished for the day
DAY 3 – Monday July 19, 2010
• Teams report to fields for warm-up
• 8:00 am – GAME 3
??? – Navy vs. Green
??? – Red vs. Royal
• 10:00 am – Consolation Game (3rd seed vs. 4th seed)
??? – Awards following game: 2 MVPS, 2 Sportsmanship
• 12:00 pm – Championship Game (1st seed vs. 2nd seed)
??? – Awards following game: 2 MVPS, 2 Sportsmanship, Champion Team Trophies
• Event concludes and teams dismissed following Awards Presentation
Note: The consolation and championship games will both be shown LIVE online on ESPN3.
DAY 1 – Tuesday July 20, 2010
• Players and Parents arrive in Orlando/Lake Buena Vista by 12-noon
• 2:00 pm – Orientation Meeting at EWWS (Required for coaches and players; parents also welcome)
– Welcome and tournament expectations
– Coaches and Players introduced and placed on their teams
– Uniforms are distributed and team pictures are taken
• 3:30 pm – Team Practices (two teams per one field, 90-minute practice)
– Team PRIDE (red) and Team FREEDOM (Navy)
– Team LIBERTY (green) and Team SPIRIT (Royal)
• 5:00 pm – Welcome Dinner at Pavilion
– Dinner is for teams, coaches and officials only
• 6:00 pm – Game 1 Warm-ups (teams report to fields)
• 7:00 pm – GAME 1 Starts
– PRIDE vs. SPIRIT
-· LIBERTY vs. FREEDOM
• 9:00 pm – All teams – Meeting
DAY 2 – Wednesday July 21, 2010
• 9:00 am – Game 2 Warm-ups (teams report to fields)
• 10:00 am – GAME 2 Starts
– PRIDE vs. FREEDOM
– LIBERTY vs. SPIRIT
• 12:00 pm – Lunch for all players, coaches and officials under pavilion tent
• 1 pm – Game 3 Warm-ups (teams report to fields)
• 2:00 pm – GAME 3 Starts (determines seeding for consolation and championship games)
– LIBERTY vs. PRIDE
– FREEDOM vs. SPIRIT
• 4:00 pm – Games are finished for the day; teams are seeded for Day 3
– Players are dismissed to parents
• 8:00 pm – ESPN RISE Athlete Party @ Hollywood Studios
– All players and coaches receive one complimentary admission
– Teams are strongly encouraged to attend
DAY 3 – Thursday July 22, 2010
• 9:00 am – Game 4 Warm-ups (teams report to fields)
• 10:00 am – GAME 4 Starts – Consolation Game (3rd seed vs. 4th seed)
• 12:00 pm – Lunch for all players, coaches and officials
• 1 pm – Game 5 Warm-ups – (teams report to fields)
• 2 pm – FINAL GAME – Championship Game (1st seed vs. 2nd seed)
(Game will be broadcast on ESPNU at 7 p.m. on Sunday, July 25)
• 4 pm – Awards Ceremony on Fields
– MVPS, Sportsmanship, Champion Team Trophies
• 5 pm – Event concludes and teams dismissed following Awards Presentation