follow us on...

FIL Championships update: Iroquois will forfeit opening game tonight

Thursday, 15th July 2010

Categories Boy's/Men's, Posted 7/15/10
From Press Releases

The Iroquois have been forced to forfeit their opening match of this year’s Federation of International Lacrosse World Championship in Manchester, England, against the host team because of continuing passport problems.

The team had been slated to play England tonight (7.30 p.m./2:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time) in the opening match of the tournament at the University of Manchester Armitage Centre, but the British government have confirmed that they will not be allowed into the country unless the British government reverses its decision, said Tonya Gonnella Frichner, a lawyer for the team.

England will be awarded maximum points due to the forfeit. In its place, England will play Germany in the tournament’s opening game as an exhibition game that will not count toward the Championship.

Federation of International Lacrosse spokesman Ron Balls said: “We are sorry that the Iroquois are still having problems getting their visas.”

The Iroquois can still compete later in the tourney if their visa problems are settled.


Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

Latest Headlines