By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/31/10
The District 1 tournament delivered its share of great matchups and Tuesday the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) tournament begins with several District 1 and 12 teams squaring off right away.
This week’s Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Rankings:
1. Radnor (22-1) –The Red Raiders used a brilliant comeback to defeat Springfield-Delco, 8-6, for the District 1 championship Friday. Their ultimate goal is a second straight state title and they begin their quest Tuesday against North Penn at West Chester East at 3 p.m. (Prev: 1)
2. Springfield-Delco (20-2) – The Cougars had won four straight District 1 titles until bowing in the finals Friday to Radnor. That’s quite impressive. They open PIAA play Tuesday against fellow Central league tri-champion Strath Haven at West Chester East at 5 p.m. (Prev: 2)
3. Unionville (20-3) – The Indians avenged their regular-season loss to Great Valley with a 16-11 victory in the District 1 third-place playback. The win gives them a first-round date with District 3 runner-up Hershey Tuesday at Penn Manor at 4 p.m. (Prev: 4)
4. Great Valley (21-2) – The Patriots suffered their first two defeats of the season in the District 1 semifinals and third-place game. They face a tough first-round PIAA foe in District 12 champion and No. 5 Archbishop Carroll at Plymouth Whitemarsh at 5 p.m. (Prev: 3)
5. Archbishop Carroll (14-5) – The Patriots won their 10th straight Catholic League championship with a convincing 13-6 win over Archbishop Wood. They have a formidable challenge Tuesday in the first round of the PIAA tourney when they meet No, 4 Great Valley at Plymouth Whitemarsh at 5 p.m. (Prev: 6)
6. Episcopal Academy (16-5) – EA won its sixth straight Inter-Ac League championship and finished the year with 10 straight wins. (Prev: 7)
7. Downingtown East (18-5) – The Cougars have peaked at the right time, winning 10 of 11 games and securing the fifth seed from District 1 in the PIAA tourney. They meet District 11 champion Nazareth today at Emmaus at 6 p.m. (Prev: 8)
8. Strath Haven (18-3) – The Panthers need to regroup fast after finishing sixth in District 1. They face a difficult first-round game in the PIAA tourney today against Springfield-Delco at West Chester East at 5 p.m (Prev: 5)
9. North Penn (19-3) – The Maidens edged Conestoga, 11-10,to earn the final PIAA berth out of District 1. The reward? A first-rund match with District 1 champion Radnor today at West Chester East at 3 p.m. (Prev: 9)
10. Notre Dame (14-5) – The Irish placed second in the Inter-Ac league behind Episcopal Academy. (Prev: 10)
Under Consideration (alphabetic order): Abington (13-6), Archbishop Wood (13-6), Boyertown (16-5), Conestoga (13-10), Council Rock North (14-2), Friends’ Cenral (12-5), Harriton (13-7), Merion Mercy (15-5), Upper Dublin (18-1), Wissahickon (17-3).