By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/02/09
There was plenty of movement this week in action among the Top 10 teams in the second Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Rankings. Here is the top 10:
1. Radnor (4-0) – The Red Raiders head to Spring Break in Florida with a 4-0 start and the look of a team, one that has won 27 straight games, ready to defend its turf. In Florida, they will play one game, but the opponent is not yet determined.
3. Episcopal Academy (5-0) – EA opened its Inter-Ac league title defense Wednesday by dumping Springside School, 15-4. It hosts Germantown Academy in a league game Friday and then preps for a monumental challenge Saturday at national power Sts. Stephen’s and Agnes of Washington D.C.
4. Notre Dame Academy (4-0) – The Fighting Irish had their Inter-Ac League season opener Wednesday against Baldwin School postponed by rain. It is tentatively rescheduled for today, but it will depend on the condition of the field. Notre Dame plays at Agnes Irwin Friday in the Inter-Ac.
5. Downingtown East (2-1) – The Cougars moved into the mix by defeating Merion Mercy, 15-8, Tuesday. They can make another statement today if they can defeat visiting Bayard Rustin in a Ches-Mont League cross-over game.
6. Unionville (4-1) – The Indians also made their big break into the rankings by rallying past Rustin, 13-9, Tuesday. Their next key games will be April 14 (Downingtown West) and April 16 (Downingtown East).
7. Great Valley (5-0) – The Patriots are winning quietly. They face perhaps their toughest challenge yet today at Henderson.
8. Bayard Rustin (3-1) – The Golden Knights are looking to rebound from Tuesday’s loss to Unionville. They face a stiff test at Downingtown East.
9. North Penn (4-0) – The Maidens scored a huge overtime win over Boyertown Tuesday to move into the Rankings for the first time. They are at Central Bucks East today.
10. Villa Maria Academy (4-1) – The Hurricanes will find out where they stand Friday when they travel to No. 2 Strath Haven.
Teams to watch: (in alphabetic order) Abington, Archbishop Carroll, Archbishop Wood, Boyertown, Conestoga, Downingtown West, Germantown Academy, Merion Mercy, Pennridge, Springfield-Delco.