By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/21/09
The District 1 and District 12 (Catholic League) championships will be determined tonight as No. 1 Radnor meets No. 2 Springfield-Delco in the District 1 final at Marple Newtown at 8 p.m. and No. 8 Archbishop Carroll faces No. 9 Archbishop Wood in the D12 finale at Swarthmore College at 5 p.m.
This week’s Phillylacrosse.com Girls’ Rankings:
2. Springfield-Delco (20-2) – The Cougars have become one of the biggest stories of the year with an impressive 19-game win streak. They were routed by Radnor, 15-5, the first time the teams met on March 26, but much has changed for Delco since then. Last Week: No. 2.
3. Strath Haven (17-4) – The Panthers must not fret over their loss to Radnor in the District 1 semis. There is always the state tournament. Last Week: No. 4.
4. Bayard Rustin (18-3) – The Golden Knights face Strath Haven tonight at 6 p.m. at Marple Newtown in the third-place game. Last Week: No. 6.
5. Episcopal Academy (18-5) – The Churchwomen clinched their fifth straight Inter-Ac League crown with a convincing 18-6 rout of Baldwin School. Last Week: No. 8
6. North Penn (20-1) – The Maidens rebounded well from their crushing overtime loss to Bayard Rustin in the quarterfinals and face Unionville today at 4:30 p.m. at Henderson. Last Week: No. 3.
7. Unionville (18-3) – The Indians shoot for the fifth seed tonight against North Penn. Last Week: No. 5.
8. Archbishop Carroll (13-5) – The Patriots seek their ninth straight Catholic League crown tonight and the district’s only berth in the first Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association tourney. It’s all or nothing. Last week: NR.
9. Archbishop Wood (17-2) – The Vikings get their chance today to unseat eight-time defending champion Archbishop Carroll. Earlier this year Carroll won, 9-8; it should be another barn-burner. Last week: NR
10. Notre Dame (14-4) – The Fighting Irish conclude their season today at Agnes Irwin. A win and they take second in the Inter-Ac league. They also had wins over Springfield-Delco and Episcopal this year. Last week: No. 7.
Teams to watch: (in alphabetic order): Abington, Baldwin School, Boyertown, Conestoga, Downingtown East, Downingtown West, Germantown Academy, Merion Mercy, Upper Dublin, Villa Maria Academy.