By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/14/09
The Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings had only a few changes this week as radnor knocked off Haverford School and Emmaus entered the top 10. Here is Week 5:
1. Conestoga (8-0) – The Pioneers have earned an eight-day layoff. They return today at home against Central League foe Upper Darby and play at Central contender Lower Merion Thursday. Last week: No. 1
2. La Salle (5-3) – The Explorers have won four in a row since their back-to-back overtime losses to Baltimore powers Gilman School and Calvert Hall. They host improving Lansdale Catholic today and play at Conwell-Egan tomorrow in Catholic League North Division contests. Last week: No. 2
3. Springfield-Delco (8-0) – It would be easy to overlook the Cougars with the notoriety being given to Conestoga and La Salle. Sorry, this team is making its own name after big wins over Radnor, New Jersey’s Ridgewood and New York’s Comeswogue. Springfield hosts Harriton today and plays at Strath Haven Thursday in the Central League. Last week: No. 3
4. St. Joseph’s Prep (3-0) – The Hawks – who have played less than half as many games as everyone else – needed Saturday’s contest at Germantown Academy, but it was postponed. They are off until playing at Kennedy-Kenrick Friday and then at Episcopal Academy Saturday. Last week: No. 5
5. West Chester East (7-0) – The knock on the Patriots all over the forums, if anyone listens to them, is that they haven’t played any ranked teams. They did wallop Lower Merion, but the first major test comes today at Downingtown East in a Ches-Mont League game that will count heavily towards a league title. Last week: No. 7.
6. Downingtown East (7-1) – The Cougars have won four straight and have two huge Ches-Mont games this week (today at home against WC East and Thursday at home against Unionville) before facing host and rival Haverford School Saturday in the Nike “Checking for Cancer” Invitational. Last week: No. 9.
7. Malvern Prep (3-4) – The Friars continue to struggle against top-notch competition. They face two more strong teams this week (at Germantown Academy today in Inter-Ac and home against Emmaus Thursday) before meeting Connecticut powerhouse Darien Saturday at the Nike “Checking for Cancer” Invitational at Haverford School. Last week: No. 6.
8. Radnor (5-2) – The Red Raiders made a big step last week by downing Haverford School. They host Lower Merion today and play at Garnet Valley Thursday in key Central League games. Last week: No. 8.
9. Haverford School (6-5) – The Fords have dropped three in a row and need a win badly to get out of a mini-funk. They host Episcopal Academy today and travel to Penn Charter Friday in the Inter-Ac before meeting old rival Downingtown East in their “Checking for Cancer” invite Saturday. Last week: No. 4
10. Emmaus (6-2) – Exactly how good are the Green Hornets? We find out soon when they travel to Malvern Prep Thursday. Last week: NR
Teams to watch (in alphabetical order): Archbishop Wood, Central Bucks East, Easton, Episcopal Academy, Germantown Academy, Hatboro-Horsham, Henderson, Holy Ghost Prep, Lower Merion, Owen J. Roberts, Ridley, Unionville.