By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/7/09
The Phillylacrosse.com Boys’ Rankings had only a few changes this week as La Salle and Springfield-Delco claimed huge wins and each moved up a spot. Here is Week 4
1. Conestoga (8-0) – The Pioneers continued to roll yesterday with a 11-3 win over Abington, following their overwhelming 10-4 humbling of former No. 2 Haverford School Saturday. They earn an 8-day layoff and come back April 14 against Central League foe Upper Darby. Last week: No. 1
2. La Salle (3-3) – The Explorers seem to be back on track after huge wins last week over Malvern Prep (4-3 in overtime) and New York power West Genesee (7-3). They host Father Judge today in a Catholic League opener and host yet another Baltimore power, McDonogh, on Saturday. Last week: No. 3
3. Springfield-Delco (6-0) – The Cougars did Philly proud Saturday by toppling North Jersey power Ridgewood, 8-5, in the prelude to the Big City Classic at the Meadowlands. Tonight they get their first major Central League test at Radnor. Last week: No. 4
4. Haverford School (6-2) – The Fords did not play their best game in Saturday’s loss to Conestoga. They’ll need to perform at a higher level today when they face Malvern Prep in the first of their two Inter-Ac League battles and Thursday against Central League power Radnor. Last week: No. 2
5. St. Joseph’s Prep (2-0) – The Hawks, who opened impressively last week with wins over Penn Charter (14-2) and Garnet Valley (11-7) had a major challenge cancelled by rain when their game at Loyola-Blakefield was called on Friday. They have an intriguing test today against Ridley Last week: No. 6
6. Malvern Prep (2-3) – The Friars eked out a hard-fought 7-5 win over Episcopal Academy in their Inter-Ac opener after a heartbreaking defeat to La Salle. They can get the upper hand in the Inter-Ac race today when they host Haverford School. Then the schedule goes national as they travel to Gilman (Md.) Thursday and host St. Augustine (N.J.) Prep Saturday. Last week: No. 5.
7. West Chester East (5-0) – The Vikings continued their roll by helping coach Jon Heisman win his 300th career victory (many at Springfield-Delco) last week. They travel to Methacton Friday. Last week: No. 7.
8. Radnor (4-1) – The Red Raiders will find out where they stand this week. They host No. 3 Springfield-Delco tonight in an all-important Central League game and No. 4 Haverford School Thursday in a non-league affair. Last week: No. 9.
9. Episcopal Academy (5-2) – The Churchmen look to rebound from the Malvern loss today at Penn Charter. They then host No. 10 Downingtown East Thursday. Last week: No. 8
10. Downingtown East (5-1) – The Cougars have two major tests this week, today at Henderson (Ches-Mont League) and Thursday at non-league foe Episcopal Academy. Last week: No. 10.
Teams to watch (in alphabetical order): Archbishop Wood, Central Bucks East, Easton, Emmaus, Germantown Academy, Hatboro-Horsham, Holy Ghost Prep, Lower Merion, Owen J. Roberts, Ridley, Unionville.