By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/29/08
The Central League showdown we’ve been waiting for all year is today: No. 1 Radnor travels to No. 4 Springfield-Delco at 3:45 p.m. The sixth Phillylacrosse.com Scholastic Girls Top 10 Poll:
1. Radnor (13-0) – The Red Raiders are playing some of the best lacrosse we’ve seen in these parts for a while. Their biggest test comes today at Springfield-Delco in essentially what amounts to a Central League title game. Then, they host No. 7 Archbishop Carroll Friday. Last week: No. 1.
2. Bayard Rustin (9-1) – The Golden Knights have struggled somewhat since their big win over Great Valley two weeks ago. They’ll need to be on top of their game when they travel to GV for the rematch Thursday. Last week: No. 2.
3. Great Valley (10-2) – The Patriots better beware as they prepare for today’s Ches-Mont American contest with visiting Unionville – a team that nearly beat Bayard Rustin, upset Springfield-Delco in overtime Friday and came within three goals of GV in their first meeting. After that, there’s the much-anticipated rematch with No. 2 Bayard Rustin Thursday. Last week: No. 3.
4. Springfield-Delco (11-2) – The Cougars responded well from their stunning upset loss to Unionville Friday by handling No. 9 Episcopal Academy, 13-6, at the Katie Samson Festival. They’ll probably have to play even better against the Red Raiders today. Last week: No. 4.
5. Abington (13-0) – The Ghosts erupted for a 25-6 rout of Lawrenceville School (N.J.) at the Katie Samson Festival. We may not find out exactly how good they are until districts. Today they play at Central Bucks South in the Suburban One National. Last week: No. 5.
6. Downingtown West (12-1) – The Whippets earned a big 12-9 win over No. 10 Boyertown Saturday. This week heats up even more; they play at second-place Downingtown East Thursday and at No. 8 Strath Haven Friday. Last week: No. 6.
7. Archbishop Carroll (9-2) – The Patriots looked impressive in a 16-3 victory Saturday over Ridley at the Katie Samson Festival. Make time for this: They are at No. 1 Radnor Friday. Last week: No. 10.
8. Strath Haven (10-3) – The Panthers fell behind, 4-0, to Delaware’s No. 1 team, Tower Hill, and then Emily Garrity took over and scored 10 goals to key a 16-8 victory at the Katie Samson Festival. Today they host Garnet Valley in a Central League game. Last week: No. 8.
9. Episcopal Academy (9-3) – EA struggled early in its 13-6 loss to Springfield-Delco at the Katie Samson Festival and never recovered. No time to fret; they host Baldwin today in a big Inter-Ac League game and travel to neighborhood rival and Catholic Academies League power Merion Mercy Wednesday. Last week: No. 7.
10. Boyertown (11-2) – The Bears remain undefeated in the Pioneer Athletic Conference and host Owen J. Roberts Friday in a key PAC game. First, though, they host 11-1 Upper Dublin Wednesday. Last week: No. 9.
Under consideration: Villa Maria Academy, Downingtown East, Merion Mercy, Unionville, Upper Dublin, Conestoga.