By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 4/8/08
Today’s big games include No. 7 Strath Haven at new No. 1 Radnor in the Central League and a Ches-Mont showdown between No. 8 Downingtown West and No. 9 Downingtown East. The third Phillylacrosse.com Scholastic Girls Top 10 Poll:
1. Radnor (3-0) – Wins last week over Ridley, 14-7, and Henderson, 20-4, move the Raiders to the top spot. They get a major test today when they host Central League contender and No. 5 Strath Haven. Last week: No. 2
2. Bayard Rustin (3-0) – Last week’s 11-9 triumph over Strath Haven moved the Golden Hawks up a notch. They travel to Penncrest Friday. Last week: No. 3
3. Great Valley (3-0) – The Patriots, who routed Spring-Ford, 18-6, host Georgia power Milton today. Last week: No. 4
4. Springfield-Delco (4-1) – The Cougars dropped a 10-9 decision to New Jersey power Shawnee, then disposed of Penncrest, 16-3, and Good Counsel, of Washington D.C., 9-5, and Georgia’s two-time state champion, Milton, 11-3. They play at Marple Newtown today. Last week: No. 1
5. Abington (4-0) – The Ghosts ripped Neshaminy, 19-0, in their Suburban One National Conference opener. They host Central Bucks South today. Last week: No. 6
6. Archbishop Carroll (3-0) – The Patriots thumped Archbishop Prendergast, 19-1, in a Catholic League game. They play at 6-0 Archbishop Wood Friday. Last week: No. 7
7. Strath Haven (5-1) – The Panthers hope they learned some lessons last week when they coughed up an early lead to Bayard Rustin in an 11-9 loss. They’ll need to apply what they learned today when they play at No. 1 Radnor. Last week: No. 5.
8. Downingtown West (5-0) – The Whippets continue to roll with Ches-Mont League National routs over Coatesville, 22-6, and West Chester East, 19-6. Today they get their first test in a key home game against No. 9 Downingtown East. Last week: No. 8.
9. Downingtown East (5-0) – The Cougars edged Boyertown, 14-13, and handled Henderson, 15-6, as they gear for today’s Ches-Mont National showdown at D-West. Last week: No. 10.
10. Germantown Academy (4-0) – The Patriots cruised in their Inter-Ac opener against Springside, 19-9, and walloped Hill School, 14-5, and Germantown Friends, 18-4. They face their first major test today against Inter-Ac foe Episcopal Academy. Last week: unranked.
Under consideration: Boyertown, Notre Dame, Episcopal Academy, North Penn, Conestoga, Mount St. Joseph, Ridley, Pottstown.