By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/27/08
The District One playoffs have reached the quarterfinals stage Four Class AA playoff games will be held today and four more Class AA games are slated for tomorrow. The 10th Phillylacrosse.com Scholastic Girls Top 10 Poll:
1. Radnor (20-0) – The Red Raiders, who crushed Souderton, 26-5, in the first round of Class AAA, host Central League rival Conestoga tomorrow. Last week: No. 1.
2. Bayard Rustin (15-2) – The Golden Knights, who toppled Avon Grove, 21-11, in the first round, face a stern challenge tomorrow when they host sixth-seeded Abington. Last week: No. 2.
3. Springfield-Delco (16-3) – The Cougars, who routed Interboro, 16-3, host Catholic Academies League runner-up Merion Mercy today. Last week: No. 3.
4. Great Valley (17-3) – The Patriots, who dumped Marple Newtown, 25-9, in the first round, host former Pioneer Athletic Conference rival Phoenixville today at 3 p.m. Last week: No. 4.
5. Strath Haven (17-3) – The Panthers handled Springfield-Montco, 21-1, for their ninth straight win and host Pottstown in the quarterfinals today. Last week: No. 5.
6. Downingtown West (19-2) – The Whippets, easy 22-10 winners over Cheltenham, now must take on everyone’s playoff nightmare, Ridley, in the quarterfinals. Last week: No. 6.
7. Archbishop Carroll (15-4) – The Patriots won their eighth straight Catholic League crown with an easy 17-4 win over Archbishop Wood. How long can the dynasty last? It could be a long time, as long as Pats coach Lorraine Beers sticks around. Last week: No. 7.
8. Boyertown (18-3) – The Bears, a 13-2 first-round winner over Council Rock South, need to be wary of their second-round opponent, North Penn. Boyertown walloped the Maidens, 18-4, early in the year, but NP is coming on. Last week: No. 8.
9. Abington (18-1) – The Ghosts, who crushed Council Rock North, 21-3, in the first round, get their chance to prove they are one of the top teams when they play at Bayard Rustin tomorrow. Last week: No. 9.
10. Villa Maria Academy (19-2) – The fourth-seeded Hurricanes – champions of the Catholic Academies League – whipped Owen J. Roberts, 19-7 in the first round of the Class AA playoffs and host fifth-seeded Unionville in a very intriguing game today. Last week: unranked.
Under consideration: Episcopal Academy, Ridley, North Penn, Unionville, Conestoga, Downingtown East, Upper Dublin.