By Chris Goldberg
Phillylacrosse.com, Posted 5/14/08
The ninth Phillylacrosse.com Scholastic Boys Top 10 Poll:
1. Malvern Prep (16-2) – Matt Mackrides scored three goals as the Inter-Ac League champion Friars thumped Lawrenceville (N.J.), 11-5, Tuesday in a battle of teams ranked nationally in the top 15 by Inside Lacrosse (Malvern was 10th last week, Lawrenceville was 15th). They close the regular season by playing at Penn Charter Thursday and hosting Radnor Saturday. Last week: No. 1.
2. La Salle (25-2) – The Explorers crushed Roman Catholic, 15-2, in the Catholic League semifinals Tuesday and meet No. 6 St. Joseph’s Prep in the long-anticipated title game Thursday night (7:30) at Plymouth Whitemarsh. Last week: No. 2.
3. Haverford School (15-5) – The Fords needed only 26 goals to win their last four games over Conestoga (7-6), Episcopal Academy (4-3), Germantown Academy (7-2) and Radnor (8-5), thanks to strong defense and solid goaltending by junior Dan Wigrizer. They close their regular season Friday by hosting Brunswick School, Conn. Last week: No. 3.
4. Ridley (18-2) – The Central League champion Green Raiders closed their regular season Tuesday by thumping Harriton, 15-5, as Brett Greer scored six goals. Now they hope for a top-four seed in the Eastern Pennsylvania Scholastic Lacrosse Association playoffs. Last week: No. 4.
5. Germantown Academy (12-6) – The Patriots, coming off a 7-2 loss to Haverford School, close Friday at Suburban One American co-leader Upper Dublin. Last week: No. 5.
6. St. Joseph’s Prep (20-3) – Brendan Glynn tallied five goals as the Hawks whipped Archbishop Wood, 14-4 Tuesday in the Catholic League semifinals and meet No. 2 La Salle for the title Thursday night at PW. Last week: No. 6.
7. Downingtown East (12-6) – The Cougars clinched the Suburban League championship Monday with an 8-6 triumph over Avon Grove. They close their regular season Friday at Downingtown West. Last week: No. 8.
8. Springfield-Delco (14-5) – The Cougars finished a solid 7-2 season in the Central League Tuesday by ripping Lower Merion, 11-4. They close their regular season Friday at Episcopal Academy. Last week: No. 10.
9. Penn Charter (13-9) – The Quakers suffered their second loss of the year to Episcopal Academy, 5-4, Tuesday. They close their Inter-Ac League season today at home against No. 1 Malvern Prep and play at Conestoga Friday. Last week: No. 7.
10. Lower Merion (16-4) – The Aces finished their regular season Tuesday with the disappointing loss to Springfield-Delco, ending an eight-game winning streak . Last week: No. 9.
Under consideration: Episcopal Academy, Emmaus, Conestoga, Abington, Garnet Valley, Central Bucks East, Hatboro-Horsham, Strath Haven, Archbishop Wood.
Tags: Malvern Prep